Sally’s 5:2 Oyakodon
(Japanese Chicken & Egg Cauliflower Rice Bowl)
Calories per serve: 384
Recipe Challenge: Week 7 (total recipes 11)
- Slice chicken in strips.
- Slice onion in strips.
- Place sauce into wok to boil.
- Place chicken into sauce and simmer until braised.
- When chicken is cooked add onion and cook to soften.
- Gently whisk 2 egg (using chopsticks if you want to keep with the Japanese theme) and then pour slowly and gently over chicken and onion.
- Turn down heat, cover and cook for about 1 minute, occasionally giving the wok a little shake so the egg does not stick to the edges.
- After 1 minute turn off the heat.
- Serve over the top of cauliflower rice with a little spring onion if desired to make it look pretty.
This is a Japanese comfort food. A great hearty meal. Oyako means “parent-and-child” in Japanese, a traditional Japanese rice bowl topped with simmered chicken (parent) and egg (child). I have substituted the normal rice with cauliflower rice to avoid carbs on my fast day.